Reading wombwarrior’s blog earlier
(http://wombwarrior.wordpress.com/ ) got me thinking about the things that people have said to me over the last six months. I’ve obviously had a lot if the usual “it wasn’t meant to be”, “miscarriage is really common” and “at least you can get pregnant” but I thought I would share with you some of the more priceless comments which have left me seething. [Note that other than the first comment, all if these people know about my miscarriages]
* [taken from a chat at work with two colleagues] Colleague one (to me): You’ve got children haven’t you?, Colleague two (jumping in to answer): No she has dogs instead! – Yes because I’m obviously the crazy dog lady who thinks dogs are child substitutes! Grrr
* [this comment was from my boss at work said on the Friday evening following my ERPC on the Tuesday after which I was back at work on the Wednesday] Your chargeable hours aren’t as good this week as they were this time last month, I thought you said you were still busy!
* [another colleague] How are you feeling? Me: Not too bad but really tired following the operation yesterday. Colleague: You must be pleased to have lots of work to take your mind off everything. Hopefully in a few days time you’ll have gotten over everything and be back to normal!
* [Friend, whilst cuddling her baby] When I found out I was pregnant I just knew it was meant to be and that it would work out fine *coos at baby* “didn’t I poppet, mummy just knew you were meant to be”
* [My mother on learning of my second miscarriage in six months] Oh that’s a shame *changes subject*
* [The boy’s dad, who had decided not to book a September holiday on learning he would be a granddad in September, on learning of the miscarriage] We were sorry to hear your news. We’ve booked that holiday in September now,any chance we could have a lift to the airport?
* [My boss at work, again] I can’t believe all you girls are trying to leave me. You’ve tried to get pregnant and Julie (who is due at the same time i would have been) was actually successful!
And that’s not even all of them. I swear if I hadn’t of heard the comments myself I wouldn’t have thought it possible!